Tech, Productivity, Online Education
Quarantine Music and Podcasts
In my Greek class this morning we began discussing my favorite music and podcasts and I told them I would send out a list. Well, it started to grow so I thought I would just post everything here as well.
Favorite Jam Bands
- Phish - this is by far my favorite band and probably consists of about 75% of the music I listen to. If you are going to listen to one live album to get started I would check out the best of their Baker’s Dozen run at Madison Square Garden (Apple Music / Spotify). This was a 13 night show at Madison Square Garden where they did not repeat one song.
- The lead singer and guitarist, Trey Anastasio, is also part of many of projects such as his solo work, Trey Anastasio Band, Oysterhead, and some other.
- The first season of the podcast Long May They Run provides an excellent history and in-depth look at the band, Phish.
- A great article for getting into Phish by Marco Arment.
- On their YouTube page you can play much of their live music and get a sense of the band
- Umphrey’s McGee
- Widespread Panic
- Grateful Dead
- Yonder Mountain String Band
- String Cheese Incident
- Disco Biscuits
- Keller Williams
- Leftover Salmon
Other jam bands that I enjoy: Lotus, Lettuce, Dopapod, The Big Wu, STS9, Infamous Stringdusters, Tauk, Galactic, Pigeons Playing Ping Pong, and more.
Favorite Classic Rock
- Pink Floyd
- Led Zeppelin
- The Doors
I listen to a lot of podcasts. Turning them to 2-2.5x speed and cutting out breaks and pauses with Castro or Overcast and you can get through a ton of podcasts during my week.
Favorite Tech/Productivity Podcasts
Many of the podcasts that I enjoy are on the RelayFM network. Check it out, I am sure there is something you would enjoy if you have interests in tech and productivity.
Descriptions taken from their websites.
- Cortex - CGP Grey and Myke Hurley are both independent content creators. Each episode, they get together to discuss their working lives.
- Automators - Automation makes your life easier and everyone can do it. We tell you how.
- Connected - Connected is a weekly panel discussion on Apple and the impact of technology on our lives. With each co-host having a unique background — and accent — Connected provides a perspective that no other show can.
- Focused - David Sparks and Mike Schmitz are not nearly as productive as they’d like to be. Join these fellow travelers (and a bunch of special guests) as they share the best ways to get focused, and talk though their successes and failures along the way
- Mac Power Users - Learn about getting the most from your Apple technology with focused topics and workflow guests. Creating Mac Power Users, one geek at a time since 2009.
- The Pen Addict - The Pen Addict is a weekly fix for all things stationery. Pens, pencils, paper, ink — you name it, and Brad Dowdy and Myke Hurley are into it. Join as they geek out over the analog tools they love so dearly.
- Upgrade - Upgrade looks at how technology shapes our lives, from the devices in our hands and pockets to the streaming music and video services that keep us entertained.
- Adapt - Adapt is a show all about the iPad, where two iPad-first users challenge each other to explore new ways of doing things with their favorite device.
- The Talk Show - The tech podcast from independent Apple tech writer John Gruber (he writes on Daring Fireball
- The Accidental Tech Podcast (ATP) - A tech podcast we accidentally created while trying to do a car show. Featuring Marco Arment, Casey Liss, and John Siracusa.
- iPad Pros - A podcast about being productive on the iPad. Hear from developers and iPad Pros who use the iPad in a professional setting to get their job done
- A Slab of Glass - Youtuber Christopher Lawley and iPad Blogger Jeff Perry sit down every other week to discuss the iPad, iOS, and how you can make your iPad work for you.
- Becoming Better - Becoming Better is a podcast dedicated to making you a better human being. Hosted by Chris Bailey, the author of two productivity books, and Ardyn Nordstrom, a nerdy economist, the show covers topics as diverse as productivity, procrastination, money, happiness, giving back, travel, gratitude, and disconnecting. Each episode ends with practical tips for becoming better
- Focus on This - If you want to achieve your big goals and return to your most important priorities, focus is the key. Building off of the successful framework of the Full Focus Planner, hosts Courtney Baker and Blake Stratton will provide practical solutions to guide you back to focus
- Nested Folders - Nested Folders is a productivity podcast hosted by Scotty Jackson and Rosemary Orchard.
- AppStories - AppStories is a production of MacStories, Inc. co-hosted by MacStories Editor-in-Chief, Federico Viticci, and MacStories Managing Editor, John Voorhees. AppStories is a weekly podcast published on Mondays. Each week, Federico and John discuss their favorite new apps and noteworthy updates, dive into the stories and people behind the apps they love, and explore the social and cultural impact of the App Store.
- Hello Internet - not sure how to describe it but I enjoy it. The hosts are CGP Grey and Brady Haran.
- Hurry Slowly - Hurry Slowly is a podcast about how you can be more productive, creative, and resilient through the simple act of slowing down.
- How I Work - Have you ever wondered if the worlds’s leading entrepreneurs, writers, musicians and business people construct their day differently to you? How I Work delves into the working days of some of the world’s most successful innovators. We discuss tactics, rituals and tricks they use to achieve so much more than the average person, despite having the same number of hours in the day
Favorite Christian/Religion/Biblical and Theological Studies Podcasts
- Cars, Coffee, and Theology - Caffeinated conversations with thoughtful people with Jonathan Pennington
- Church Grammar - The Church Grammar podcast engages theology and the church in a fresh way, centered on wide-ranging conversations with scholars and Bible teachers.
- Food Trucks in Babylon - Dr. Todd Miles and Dr. Patrick Schreiner discuss matters of faith, theology, and culture in a post-Christian world.
- Gospelbound with Collin Hansen - Gospelbound, hosted by Collin Hansen for The Gospel Coalition, is a podcast for those searching for firm faith in an anxious age. Each week, Collin talks with insightful guests about books, ideas, and how to navigate life by the gospel of Jesus Christ in a post-Christian culture
- New Testament Review - Influential works of New Testament scholarship discussed by two Duke PhD candidates.
- OnScript - Bringing you engaging conversations on Bible and theology. Hosts consists of Matthew Bates, Matthew Lynch, Erin Heim, Dru Johnson, Amy Brown Hughes, & Chris Tilling.
- Thinking in Public - A program dedicated to intelligent conversation about frontline theological and cultural issues with the people who are shaping them with Albert Mohler